Monday, January 16, 2012

Golfing in Bradenton

Rose early this morning to golf in Bradenton with Bob's sister Barb and her husband Jack.  That usually means a stop at the Tara Goodwill Bookstore, and indeed, Bob agreed to stop and peruse their stock for a few minute while his sister prepared our lunch.  As luck would have it, it was 25% off day which means that you can take a few fliers, but there was really nothing that I wanted to take a chance on.  I purchased six books knowing that none would be a home run.  Three of the books that I picked up were part of the Impress Mystery series which I collect.  They were in great condition and the best part about these books was that they also had the publisher's insert that came with each copy.  This is a subscription series published by Reader's Digest.  Impress Publishing has selected between five and seven mystery/spy novels each year since 1999 to be included in their Best Mysteries of All Time Series and while some are valued in the twenty dollar range most of them go much cheaper.  The publisher's insert greatly increases the collectability.  Two of the other works that I bought are early Richard Jury novels by Martha Grimes.  Her early works published by Little Brown are distinguished by a smaller size and great cover art.  The two books I found today were in mint condition and valued out at about ten dollars each.  I have added them to my Richard Jury collection which I will talk about in my next blog.  Finally I picked up a copy of Cormac McCarthy's All the Pretty Horses.  I buy a copy every time I come across one, no matter the printing.  It is one of my top five novels of all time, a great coming of age novel.  I have read it and enjoyed it as many times as I have read Catcher in the Rye, Tender is the Night, Lady Chatterley, or Under Western Eyes, all novels that I rank pretty highly.  I usually give the copies away when I can interest a friend in reading them.  If you would like a nineteenth printing in very good condition, let me know.  By the way, Bob and I shot 81 and 80 respectively

No comments:

Post a Comment